Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Little Perk of Valentine's Day

I like Valentine's Day.  I like the hearts and chocolate.  But, I mostly love a day to celebrate love because let's be honest- we all need a little more in our lives.  The world needs more love.  So, I think it's great to really celebrate love.  Love for my kid, my husband, family, neighbors, random people I come across, those who don't like me.

But, I understand that not all share my opinion.  The hype, the stress, the expectations.  Why not just say "I love" you every day?  For those people, I've thought of one perk you can't be mad about.  Strawberries.  The week of Valentine's Day strawberries are cheap.  They aren't the best, but most produce isn't.  And, they work.  I got mine this week for $1.29 a pound.  I bought them on Monday, served them with heart shaped pancakes on Tuesday, and C and I have had them every morning since.  It's thrilling.

I like to think that this week is the beginning of strawberry season, the time when I don't feel guilty buying them.   I always say I'm going to find fantastic recipes for tarts and cupcakes, but I usually just end up slicing them and eating them plain, or with a small spoon full of sugar.

So, for everyone who didn't have a love filled Valentine's Day, have a bowl of strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment