Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Leftovers

This Friday C and I are leaving for 4 weeks.  My husband, S, is working in Phoenix for the month and we didn't want to be without a husband and dad.  So, off we go.  The problem is emptying our refrigerator and cupboards.  We can't just leave the box or crackers or the couple of apples.  Although, apples might last.  Anyways, my point is this week is leftover week.  Usually I have every meal scheduled.  I have the recipes decided, even down to the snacks we'll eat.  This week it's more like what can I get rid of.  Nothing has been planned.  For lunch we had bread salad.  I finished the romaine, Italian bread, and grape tomatoes.  I thought that was pretty good.  But, we still have lots to get through.  One thing is stumping me: radishes.  I love the idea of radishes.  I buy them on occasion thinking they will  be good to put in a salad or something.  Then they sit there and although I do put them in salads it's hard to eat them all before they go bad. One radish goes a long way.  I'm sure there are lots of people out there who know exactly what to do with fresh radishes, but I'm not one of them.  Maybe one day I will be.  Yesterday they got put in a pulled pork wrap.  I'm thinking I can use others for a rice salad.      

The one good thing about leftovers is that it makes you think about food combinations you might otherwise overlook.  Like these wraps.  I usually put chicken or steak or pork chops inside a tortilla.  But, all I had was pulled pork.  I never thought to pair  it radishes, but it was a very nice combination.  This is how I put my wrap together, but this is leftover week: use whatever you have!

1 whole what flour tortilla
A squirt of ranch thickened with a small spoonful of mayo
About 1/3 C. pulled pork
3 Slices from a roma tomato
1 radish thinly sliced
A handful of spinach

Lay the tortilla out.  Spread ranch in middle.  Top with pork, tomato, radish, and spinach.  Wrap up and enjoy!


*Please note, I'm not a good photographer, but I'll try.  Maybe one day.  The pictures always do it for me, but hopefully you'll forgive my amateur attempts and still enjoy the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment