Thursday, December 13, 2012

Winter Tomatoes

A couple years ago I read a book (sorry, don't remember the name) that had a recipe for roasted tomatoes. I photocopied it and put it in my file and there it sat.  Like most things in my file, it sat there for a long time.  For no good reason in particular, but it sat.

So, when I saw another version of roasted tomatoes, I knew it was a sign that the time had come for me to roast tomatoes for the first time.  I think what really convinced me was that the second time I read about them it was advertised in a "make sucky winter tomatoes taste good" sort of a way and that made me really happy.

The end result was a fantastic pasta dish.  Caramelized from the roasting, the tomatoes were excellent, even though it is December.


Roasted Tomato Pasta
Serves about 6

3 lb. Roma tomatoes
olive oil
seasonings of choice
12 oz. penne pasta
1 pkg. Johnsonville fully cooked Italian sausage
Parmesan

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  Cut the top off each tomato and slice lengthwise.  Place tomatoes in bowl.  Pour in some olive oil, just enough to coat, with seasonings of choice.  I used coriander because that was what the original recipe called for, but you could use anything that you think would taste good.  Place on baking sheet with enough room to breath and pop in the oven.  Let them cook undisturbed for at least 4 hours, probably more like 5 or 6.

When the tomatoes are about done, cook pasta according to package directions.

Slice sausage into 1/4-1/2 in. pieces.  Heat a large sauce pan, add a olive oil to coat, add sausage and cook until heated through and browning in places.

When the tomatoes are done, let them cool slightly and then take a knife through them once or twice.  You really can cut them up as much as you want, but they are so cooked down that you really don't need much.  Add tomatoes and pasta to sausage, adding a drizzle of olive oil if necessary, then add a generous serving of Parmesan.


No comments:

Post a Comment