Thursday, March 29, 2012

What to Get Rid of Wednesday

I know it's Thursday,  and no I'm not trying to trick you.  I would have posted this yesterday but our computer was a little bit on the fritz.  It's decided: June 4th is moving day!  It's all very exciting and exhausting.  We have lots of fun things planned for the next few weeks we're in Fort Worth, but they will be in the midst of a thousand decisions and obligations.

One of my tasks is to reduce the amount of stored food.  I know we can move it, and I'm sure we'll end up moving quite a few items.  But, I'd like to get rid of as many things as possible, particularly partially used items like the three packages of Asian noodles that are all only 1/4 full.

I decided running a series called "What to Get Rid of Wednesdays" would at least give me some focus once a week to finish a product.

This week I finished a box of orzo pasta and a jar of sun dried tomatoes.  I had the idea of some sort of noodle dish and ended up with a cold pasta salad of sorts.  The thing was everything in the dish minus the tomatoes and cheese needed to be cooked before being added to the salad.  I have some variation ideas at the end of the recipe in case you don't have time to prep the salad and chill before dinner.  

We really liked this idea, but while cleaning up I pretty much vowed never to use orzo pasta again.  It was everywhere: the dining room and kitchen floor, all over the table, my daughter's chair, my hair, and the bottom of my foot.  Oh, well!



Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Salad  

1 Chicken breast
6-8 oz. Orzo pasta
1 Small zucchini- thickly sliced into half moons
5 Button mushrooms- quartered
1 Small yellow onion, chopped
2 oz. Mozzarella- cubed
3 Slices sun dried tomatoes- chopped
1/4 Bottle Italian Dressing

Season chicken breast with salt and pepper.  Heat saute pan over medium heat, lightly coat with oil, and sear chicken, flipping once, until done.  This takes about 12-18 minutes depending on size.  If the breast is really thick I like to cut in half to reduce cooking time.  Remove from heat and let cool, then cut into bit sized pieces.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions.

Using the same of a different pan, saute zucchini and mushrooms in 1 T. olive oil just until starting to brown and become tender, about 3 minutes.  Heat another saute pan over medium low heat, add about 1 T. olive oil, coat the pan, and add the onions.  Cover pan to allow the onions to release some moisture, about 2 minutes.  Continue to cook until lightly caramelized.  

In medium bowl combine all ingredients.  Let cool in refrigerator until serving, at least one hour.  

Notes
This dish can of course be made with any pasta or vegetables you prefer.  
While I was cooking I thought that a hot pasta may have been better.  You could marinade the chicken in the dressing, and then use some olive oil and fresh herbs to bring it together.  Grade the cheese to top or use some Parmesan.  



No comments:

Post a Comment